Monday, November 29, 2010

Imani On Haper's Bazaar

Mom,model,businesswoman,designer  Iman is Beauti-FULL!! Loved the Harper's Bazaar images, she looked just dashing...Though the background wasn't as dashing I believe it goes to show you could be glamorous almost anywhere and everywhere...Love these images...the december shoot
Interview by Simon Doonan of Harper's Bazaar


Simon Doonan: How many times a day do you Google yourself?
Iman: Every five minutes. I simply can't take my eyes off myself. Kidding! I would rather Google other people than Google myself.
SD: Have you ever thrown a cell phone at anyone?
Iman:No! And if anyone threw one at me, it would come right back at them like a boomerang. If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away.

SD: Do you and David ever fight? [Iman has been married to rock god David Bowie for 18 years.]
Iman: David doesn't fight. He is English, so he just stays quiet. I'm the screamer. Then he always makes me laugh. It's like cabaret. I keep him entertained too. I still fancy him—totally!—after all these years.
SD: Which Bowie song do you adore?
Iman: So many! "Heroes" especially. "Suffragette City" always gets me dancing with my little girl, Lexi [age 10].

SD: Who takes more time to get ready?
Iman: David takes five minutes. Me? I don't do anything by myself. I have a whole crew to get me ready every day.
SD: How many falls and wiglets do you own?
Iman: Millions! I believe in glamour. I am in favor of a little vanity. I don't rely on just my genes. Looking good is a commitment to yourself and to others. Wigs, killer heels, Pilates, even fillers—whatever works for you, honey.

SD: What is the worst thing about being a parent?
Iman: The early mornings. There is soccer and music class at 7:30 A.M. Remember, I am 55. I can only take so much!

SD: I have seen you throw together a home-cooked meal in your kitchen. I was impressed. Was that just for PR purposes?
Iman: I vowed to myself when I got married that I would cook every night. I find it very therapeutic.
SD: What's for dinner tonight?
Iman: Branzino with lemon. And David likes risotto, but I can't do risotto tonight. It takes time, and I have homework to do with my daughter. Maybe a salad and orzo. And David buys dessert.
SD: You could be a lady of leisure if you so desired. Why not just lie around eating bonbons and listening to Ziggy Stardust?
Iman: Even Ziggy Stardust would put on 125 pounds if he ate bonbons all day! I come from Somalia. We start working young, and we understand that kind of life. I would be bored to death not doing anything creative.
SD: I heard rumors that you are doing a home collection.
Iman: When I stopped modeling in '89, I got really into decor. Our home is very eclectic. My collection, Iman Home, is launching fabrics first. I made myself a turban out of one fabric.
SD: Who have you ever had homicidal feelings toward in the fashion business?
Iman: Geoffrey Beene! I loved his clothes but not him. Years ago, we were about to walk the runway and he pushed me. I said, "Don't do that!" "You work for me!" he said, and I replied, "No, you've hired my services, dear. I don't work for you," and I left.
SD: Who is your favorite young designer these days?
Iman: Alexander Wang is one of my favorites. But he is like my daughter. He is like 12.

SD: I heard you were at the White House a while ago. Did you crash, or were you invited?
Iman: Cheeky! I met Mr. and Mrs. Obama years ago at Oprah's Legends Ball. Oprah sat me next to Mrs. Obama because I majored in political science before modeling, so she thought we would have something to discuss. And then I went for lunch at the White House. It was brilliant! Mrs. Obama could not have been more gracious or beautiful. She is very smart, and for me, the thing I most envy is her children. When is the last time we saw two girls that age at the inauguration, and their mother did not have to say, "Sit still!" ?
SD: Are you a true New Yorker or a Somali girl?
Iman: Absolutely a New Yorker. I can tell you exactly when I switched. We moved downtown when Lexi was born. When 9/11 happened, 12 of our neighborhood firemen were killed. I looked around at the country that had adopted me and I became an American.
SD: You seem like an optimist and a positive force, but you must have done something appalling in your past.
Iman: I was once very rude to a young model. Just before I retired from modeling, I was at this shoot. The photographer said he was reading a biography of Marie Antoinette. The young model asked us, "What agency is she with?" [Shrieks of derisive laughter] We made fun of her, of course! When we were leaving, she said to me, "I hope I look as good as you when I'm your age," and I said, "Don't worry, darling, you won't." And then later I felt bad.
SD: When Diana Vreeland first saw you, she said, "Now, that's a neck." Is it ever weird having such a long neck?
Iman: My daughter likes to draw. She'll say to me, "I am doing a portrait, so you have to sit still." And then she'll say, "Oh my goodness, you have such a long neck. Weird!"
SD: Have you ever dropped acid?
Iman: No, but I have dropped a lot of other things. I did the whole Studio 54 thing. My saving grace was that I always knew when to leave the party.
SD: Who do you idolize?
Iman: My father. He taught me how to be a parent and gave me a positive connection with men because he is a gentleman. And that is what attracted me to David. He is a gentle soul.
SD: Can you tell me about your new Bravo show? What's your sign-off catchphrase?
Iman [lowering her voice and striking a serious glamour pose] : "I am sorry … you are out of fashion. "
SD: Ouch!




No comments:

Post a Comment