Monday, January 3, 2011

African Magazines Covers Special

I've been doing  magazine covers from many European mags and US magz and other countries and its only about time I pull out my favorite covers from my fave African Magazines.
I Love African Magazines I feel I can connect to them more than the 100 whitish pages of Westernized Fashion on Vogue and Marie Claire with countable colored models, Fashion is so biased..anyway not that I don't love those magazines, heck I do, to bits! But You gotta love African Magazines as well..bold African beautiful with African Style and Demeanour. I remember the whole Vogue Africa Fiasco and I laugh at how mad I got when Conde Nast said no, I mean we already have many High Fashion Magazines, what makes us think that a Vogue Africa needs to make our Fashion stands of class? Like we need approval from Vogue to be considered fashionable, and Even if it did come by, like ELLE SA and COSMOPOLITAN SA, It would be white washed..no doubt about it. Online and Published I got a glimpse or two of some African Magz out there that really caught my eye this year.
Before I go on
I love that PRIDE did an African Issue October 2010 i believe so..
These are truly the three phenomenal supermodels of Africa,”Power Models” of Africa cover Britain’s top Magazine for the woman of colour {PRIDE}, (From L – R Liya Kebede, Alek Wek, Iman). These beautiful and talented women that have repeatedly brought Africa to the runway locally and internationally are featured on the cover of Pride’s October 2010 edition.


True Love SA
About Fashion, beauty, daily women cry outs and setbacks, Celebrities, African and International. I loved the September issue Cover,The Feathers were like wow wow wow...The green in the background did the color combo alot of favors.. I loved it. truelove.co.za/
I always complain that South African Magazines are so Whitewashed and That I prefer Nigerian Magazines to S.A. mags but this one doesn't disappoint.


True Love Kenya
This Magazine caused quite a stir in Kenya sometime in May 2010 when Media 24 announced the cessation of Magazines True Love and Drum. Announcing that the April 2010 issue was the last issue, The glossy magazine was accused of trying to promote Kenyan lifestyles beyond the means of many Kenyan women. It was said that Media 24 was trying to replicate its South African issue through its editorial outlook in East Africa knowing full well that these two regions have a different culture, lifestyles and outlook on life. Sometimes in early June 010 I believe, It was back in stands....


But I was so glad When They came back in July with this Power issue of 7 women to watch in Kenya, young and successful..definitely my fave issue.
The women's lifestyle magazine that reflects the complexities, joys and aspirations of the modern African woman. The Glossy Magazine's editorial content covers a wide range of topics, from haute couture fashion to financial advice, from regular columns to in depth features on matters that affect readers' lives.


Cosmopolitan
 Kimmy says after being the covergirl on SA's Cosmopolitan... I gotta say she looked  rather smoking
I’m so honored to be on the November cover of Cosmopolitan Magazine in South Africa! I’m wearing my Beach Bunny Swimwear reptile bikini!
Special hi to all my fans in South Africa. I love you guys!! Khloe and I are coming to visit in December and we can’t wait!
We all know Cosmopolitan is a Die-For Magazine, I for one always have it side by side,For Fashion , Celebtrity Gossip, Beauty,Sex, Relationship,Life Planner, Mostly I love Cosmopolitan coz its Funny...The South African Issue,This Was the November Issue Read the whole article here  Kim Kardashian on SA Cosmopolitan
ps: I rili dont know why Kim says on a recent interview with Glamour Magazine that she doesn't think she is sexy....rili??????? 
"I don't find myself as sexy as everyone thinks. I'm a lot more insecure than people would assume, but with little stupid things. When I get dressed, I'm always so indecisive."
Oh Come one You big show Off! Rub it on our Whydoncha!
Plus Christina Aguilera is pretty in pink in Cosmopolitan South Africa  January issue
in a pink Herve Leger dress that i remember oh so well. Talking about her music, recent divorce and upcoming music
but why is the cover photo the same photo from US weekly 2008? The 'How I got My body back' Issue ? Were we supposed to not notice?Does someone have to get fired or too much of a coincidence? 



ELLE 


I think Elle is a Must have Fashion Guide, I loved the Naomi Campbell Cover After 25 years in Fashion Industry, Naomi still got it. One ELLE South Africa Cover.


MIMI Magazine
Okay this a Digital Magazine But It sure has pretty catchy covers, I Love it
Everything about is African, Fashion, style, Celebrities....
Infact they say on their page its a daily source for Soul.Substance.Style from Africa and the African Diaspora. Thats what I love about it, Had to be on the list, totally not biased with the west.



I just Love their Glossy covers, always covering striking African celebs...Africawide not centralised on one state or region




New African Woman
November Issue, Not Simphiwe's most striking pose
 equally as brilliant and packed worth insightful articles on different subjects/issues close to the heart of the African Woman. From the special on Black British Women, celebrating their African heritage to an interview with the soulful songstress, Simphiwe Dana, what a beauty she is, to a fashion special with some of Africa’s leading designers, Christie Brown, Thula Sindi and Nkesani Nkosi of Stoned Cherrie.
I excuse this cover coz they always have such super amazing covers

Genevieve
Genevieve Magazine is Nigeria's leading lifestyle magazine circulating across Africa, Europe and Asia.
Their vision is to be a complete lifestyle guide and best friend, inspiring wholesomeness in all women globally. Loved the December Issue...Bold African Print is exactly what I want to see on an African magazine, at least What I expect to see..African trends. The cover girl Recently married Nigerian Actress Dakore Egbuson talks about Marriage...saying 



We just connected intellectually and we have a lot in common, too. He really loves music as I do; and he knows those little things that make me relaxed around him. We have each other’s back, which is really great because that is usually the foundation of a good marriage. 
Ps. She is wearing Ituen Basi talk about Fabulosity!




HauTe


A 100+ page fashion magazine. It features the works of African designers all around the world, exhibiting a taste for the cultural tempered with an appreciation of the varied degrees of influence by the west in today's fashion. HauTe has a commitment to be the platform profile for African designers as an exposure in the fashion world. Havent got any of their latest covers wonder why... Infact I love Following on their page but I dont see much but their first issue anywhere else


Ghubar
Another Fabulous online Fashion Magazine I love, I'm an online mag Junkie..there, I said it! I loved their September issue covers which we had 3...


Ghubar goes to prove that AFRICA can be
Couture, Roots, & Glamorous… The 3 covers – taking the
Gold, the Greatest, and the most Generous parts of it  ghubar-magazine
And their December issue was well, unexpected...nice though...






HELM
This was a fashion, pop culture, and entertainment magazine focusing on the Ethiopian Diaspora. It featured the best of Ethiopian fashion, beauty, health, entertainment, philanthropy, personalities and artists. I heard something about them stopping publication late last year, Haven't heard much since....


Arise
this Nigerian Mag just knows how to bring it..I just loved the Arise cover December Issue
The models all dressed in pieces from Deola Sagoe's S/S 2010 collection, Vintage, strictly African High Fashion. This Mag is a global style & culture magazine that celebrates African achievement in the realms of fashion, music, business and politics.  One thing I really love about arise is it's progress in redressing the imbalance in the portrayal of Africa, by much of the international media, by communicating the landmark successes that Africans, and people of African descent, have achieved in fields as varied as fashion, business and politics.
ps.just after seeing this cover I went out and got puffy big hair, all African like and ish.


Mannequin
A new editorial fashion magazine for women.The magazine aims to do things differently “with an edge” – one of style, fashion, entertainment and exposure.With its slogan – ‘Dream It. Change It. Work It’, mannequin-magazine
I loved the First Issues Cover and I was loving what I was seeing


Pop Africana
 I love this magazine, I would classify its as the Marie Claire Of Africa, And I really love their covers. I love that they tell a story with African Fashion go popafricana


Ajak Deng appears for the cover of the second issue of Pop Africana, bold African, beautiful...though the blond didnt catch my liking but I sure like the art of it, the striking image looks as if it has an echo.
Celebrating Africa from a creative perspective using modern aesthetics re-introducing and re-defining all aspects of “Art Africano” . Not only will the magazine...re-educate the globe on African ideas of style and individualism it.. serving as a robust, visual guide for understanding the“Africano pshyce” from an all inclusive perspective.


Flare
This Mag covers home décor, international celebrities, fashion and beauty features.The December Issue Cover, Leopard print, Red Background..Nothing too Dramatic..In quick view I'd say they're playing safe
 They say Flare Women’s Lifestyle Magazine is now a general-interest, up-market publication aimed at modern black women; aged 20-45, seeking to enjoy every aspect of their lives and make the most of the diverse opportunities and challenges Tanzania has to offer.I hate that they limit their range from 20-45..but you've gotta be clear of your market right? Go flaremagazine
A tad bit different from Canada's Flare if you were wondering about similarities...anyway..don't get the names mixed


CLEO
i love that it is inspired by the legendary “queen of kings,” Cleopatra,Egypt's first modern lifestyle magazine.Tailored to fit the modern, independent, progressive Egyptian who strives for the best in life.It also has a Virtual issue Virtual cleo
Its cover, smashing hot!
The December Issue features The most Influential Men in Fashion, Stories of a Egyptian Journalist and Hend Sabry.
I also loved the October Issue which got up close and personal with Myriam Fares...That cover is Fierce!
 The Egyptian Cleo Is a bit more conservative, you can guess Why, hey...its Egypt!


CLEO SA
Cleo SA covered Kim Kardashian in November issue, The cover was rather calling, With the Oral SEx 101 on the bottom I would've sworn that was Cosmopolitan....She reached out to her South African Fans saying 
I’m on the cover of CLEO Magazine in South Africa! I’ve posted the whole feature so you guys can have a read.
Are any of you guys from South Africa? Khloe and I are heading over there to meet everyone and we’re both so excited. See you all soon! see here kimkardashian on Cleo Magazine
Well we know one things for sure, Magazines sure scrambled for her in SA. 
And Keri Hilson featured on the December issue...
The Bedroom Bucket list just had me..ha ha
ha ha whose cover was hotter?
Kimmy also covered Cleo in Australia and talked about turning 30 and ish..damn does Cleo loves her...


African Woman Ug
A womans lifestyle magazine that reflects the complexities, joys and aspirations of the modern African woman’s life. The editorial content covers a wide range of topics, from fashion to financial advice, from regular columns giving practical advice to in-depth features on matters that affect readers’ lives.
Not the most striking cover, The All red sure didn't capture me. 


Ladybrille
I think Ladybrille Magazine is a fusion of WWD, Vogue and ESSENCE with a very distinct African perspective.xclusives and interviews with leading USA, European & African fashion and entertainment personalities.
The December Issue Featured Man of the Month and coverboy is celebrity blogger, Shei Funmi. In the Holiday Edition, the nineteen year old speaks in an exclusive interview about how he suffered sexual abuse from a male cousin when he was younger. 
And Woman Of the month Busie Matsiko-Andan co-founder of the popular Fashionindie.com website and an executive at The Global Syndicate non-profit organization.


 The December issue graced me, I love this magazine coz it also doing a damn pretty job at de-stigmatizing the negative images of Africans by exposing its youthful, urban and explosive fashion and entertainment industries to the Western masses. go ladyvbrillle.com


Shear Magazine
Tanzanian Hair and Beauty Magazine which just  got launched not too long ago, This is their 8th Issue. I read it once or twice, Marvellous is what I can say.. On Point, depth. 
These are just some of the Magazine I keep my eye on...more to come sometime next month

No comments:

Post a Comment