Monday, May 16, 2011

Oprah Gets Street Named After Her...

After Australia getting Oprah's Signature O on their Landmark for her , I thought well.. I guess thats the biggest thing ever..but noo.. Oprah gets a street named after her...Woman, where do you stop?..lols...
Its Directly infront of Harpo studios where the show has been taped for 25 years...4500 episodes
Chicago Mayor Richard Daley honored Oprah Winfrey yesterday with her own street
Plus did anyone see her O Thank you Issue? Interviewed by her BFFF Gayle King
Read the bits of the interview below

Gayle: I have a very clear memory of the moment, I guess it was about 16 or 17 years ago, when it hit me that you weren't just hosting a talk show—that this thing you were creating was so much more. We were caught in a traffic jam in Racine, Wisconsin, because everyone was headed to the concert hall where you were speaking.

Oprah: Oh, I remember that. We pull up to the place, the cops are lined up in double rows, and you
go, "What's happening here? Who's here? Who's here? " And I go, "I am, you nitwit! " [Laughter] 
  

Oprah: “The first few years when the staff was still less than 12 people, I used to hang out with them because we were doing live shows, and we’d be done by 10 a.m. We had four people in four chairs, and that was it. Those were the days where I’d be the one taking the lunch order. I would walk around asking, ‘Okay, is it gonna be Taco Bell today, or are we doing Wendy’s?’ And then we’d go out and party at night.”
Gayle: Without giving the story away, why does [an upcoming episode] symbolize what the show means to you?

Oprah:
 It speaks to the essence of what the show has tried to say all these years: that you are not the product of your circumstances. You are a composite of all the things you believe, and all the places you believe you can go. Your past does not define you. You can step out of your history and create a new day for yourself. Even if the entire culture is saying, “You can’t.” Even if every single possible bad thing that can happen to you does. You can keep going forward.”
Gayle: Is there anything you’ll miss from the office?…Is there an object you’ll want to hang on to?
Oprah: The one thing I’ll take is the statue of Sojourner Truth that Jamie Foxx gave me for my birthday last year…Even in my youth, she was the historical figure I most identified with. Because even though she was born a slave, she was able to speak. She could communicate with people from all different backgrounds. She could speak to the most disenfranchised groups, and she could also speak to Congress. She was invited to the White House by Lincoln. Jamie didn’t know that I’d been reciting her “Ain’t I a Woman?” speech my whole life, or that when I die, I want to go out like a comet in the sky, which is something she said about her own life. But he gave me that statue, and it will come with me when I go.
Gayle: …do you regret having told [people about your past]?
Oprah: I don’t regret having talked about my life. The show has been my therapy…I’ve never had a day’s therapy, but I’ve had many days of listening to really excellent therapists, starting with Dr. Phil, who is beyond excellent at what he does.
Gayle: It is cringe-y when I see [shows from that period when you had a bunch of controversial things on] now, because it’s so foreign to what you do. And who you are.

Oprah: Well, my intention is always to do good. That’s how I’ve evolved personally, and also how I think the show has evolved. And those intentions have come back to me multi-millionfold. I genuinely feel appreciated and loved by this audience that has grown up with me. Which, for me, is a huge, huge, huge accomplishment. Because I grew up feeling the opposite of that. Feeling a void, as a little girl, feeling that really nobody loved me. So to be surrounded by this, that is what I’m going to feel. And when you see the tears on the last show, that’s what those tears will be about. Those tears will not be about sadness.


More on Oprah.com

No comments:

Post a Comment